Venezuela’s Lone Winter Olympian Has More Than One Great Reason to Dance
Anyone watching the procession of nations during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics had to be struck by Venezuela’s lone athlete, alpine skier Antonio Pardo, who enthusiastically danced his way around the stadium.
Turns out Pardo has plenty of reasons to dance.
The 43-year-old Caracas native began skiing recreationally in 1988 in St. Mortiz, Switzerland, and only began racing in 2011. He began participating in official races after becoming unemployed. (He was formerly a banker.)
But that’s not the most amazing bit of Pardo’s life story: At just eight years old, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and given only three months to live.
Pardo underwent surgery that saved his life but left him paralyzed on the left side of his body. He had to relearn how to walk, and eventually made a full recovery.
Pardo, whose sports philosophy is “do it because you love it,” is fluent in English, Spanish and Italian. And perhaps most predictably, he is also the president of the Venezuelan Ski Federation.
But most importantly, he’s an amazing dancer.
50 Years of Who with all the Doctors
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary I decided to make Doctor Who Puffs, one for each regeneration of the famous Time Lord. These were so much fun to create and I am looking forward to the next 50 years and what it will bring to the show.
Allons-y, Geronimo and long may the Doctor continue to defend the universe!!!
Bonus Puff: The War Doctor
humm brings a whole new angle on riding the train.
I’d like a one way ticket on that train ride.
I guess she’s got a ticket to ride
….You realize, of course, that Hermione Granger lit a teacher on fire when she was eleven, and kept a person alive in a jar for a year when she was fourteen, and studies dark and forbidden magics for kicks, and is one of the brightest and strongest witches of her era. If she came at me, even wandless, I would aparate to Neptune to get away from her.
Hermione Granger also:
- punched Draco Malfoy in the nose for being an idiot
- purposefully performed a confundus charm on whatshsface WHILE HE WAS FLYING just so Ron would win (omfg that is so fucking dangerous)
- literally pulled a fucking Bourne Identity on her parents and managed to set them up in fucking Australia (jesus christ she literally made it so that she NEVER EXISTED wtf that’s so fucking 007)
- Convinced the Ministry of Magic to give her an incredibly dangerous and volatile device that allowed her to ALTER TIMELINES COMPLETELY (just because she was so smart, literally, that is the reason, her “potential”)
- Has enough basic survival skills and badass magic to literally disappear to the middle of nowhere and flourish AND figure out Voldemort’s plot with Harry
- Hermione also figures out not only what Voldemort’s plan is, but generally how to beat it, WAY BEFORE VOLDEMORT EVER DOES. Why? because she is just that much smarter and better at magic than everybody else
in conclusion: Voldemort wishes he could be as awesome as Hermione, that’s why he wants to kill her so bad.
Can we rehave this series with hermione as the protagonist.
Hermione Granger and “That Time I Used the Power of Research and Deductive Reasoning to Make Sure Harry Didn’t Die”
Hermione Granger and “That time I figured shit out and literally ended up petrified for the cause and it took my friends weeks to figure out that I had the research on me”
Hermione Granger and “That Time I Was a Time Lord”
Hermione Granger and “That Time I Realized I was Hot and Smart and Saved Harry’s Ass with Research. Again. All the Time. Really, He Would Have Died Without Me.”
Hermione Granger and “That time Harry was too emo to actually do shit so I did shit in his name because I am the power behind the throne clearly also PS fought evil deatheaters and won”
Hermione Granger and “That Time I told Harry about the Dangers of Copying off Somebody’s else’s work that wasn’t mine and OH LOOK I WAS RIGHT”
Hermione Granger and “That Time I let Harry Decide Where to Go and What To do and we ended up wandering the forests of dean for like 5 months before saving his ass at Hogwarts”
Are we also going to forget that time Hermione Granger led Umbridge into the forest to be gang-raped by centaurs?